Sunday, January 4, 2009

Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
Naught be all else to me, save that thou art;
Thou my best thought by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my wisdom, be Thou my true word,
Thou ever with me, and I with Thee Lord;
Thou my great Father, and I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
Thou my whole armor, be Thou my true might;
Thou my soul's shelter, be Thou my strong tow'r:
Raise Thou me heavenward, great Pow'r of my pow'r.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
Thou mine inheritance now and always;
Thou and Thou only the first in my heart;
High King of heaven, my treasure Thou art.

High King of heaven, Thou heaven's bright sun,
Grant me its joys after vict'ry is won;
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be Thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

Ancient Irish Hymn, possibly from the 8th century

No comments: